Broad Oak PS & ELC Mailing Newsletter No 16.doc

Newsletter No: 16
Date: 12th January 2010.

Closure because of the Snow
I do apologise that we had to close because of the snow last week. I can assure
you that the decision to close was not taken lightly and each day that we were
closed was assessed individually by Sue Naylor (the Chair of Governors) and me
to see whether it was safe to open the school.

The reason for closing was safety. The paths and playgrounds in and around
school were far too slippy and dangerous and the last thing I wanted was to
endanger children, parents or staff by opening the school.
Many of the paths are still very slippy and are proving very difficult to
clear, so please can I ask for you to still be careful when walking to school.
We have rock salt on order (some should arrive today) and so we can work on
getting other routes around school clear of ice.

I have had a few messages of support from parents saying how they were grateful
of the up-to-date messages that they were receiving and that they agreed with
the decision to close. I know that closing the school is inconvenient for many
parents as child care becomes an issue - but I would like to thank you all for
your patience and understanding during this time.

At this point can I also say a big thank you to Mrs Hughes, and to Mrs Heron,
her husband Jack and her son, Andrew who helped me clear some of the paths
around school.

Information from School
You should have received three Group Call Text messages from school last week
to update you with closure information. If you did NOT receive a text please
see Mrs. Atkinson in the school's office to make sure that we have your
up-to-date mobile phone information.

We did also keep you up-to-date with messages on our school's website (see
address above). The reason why the screen went to a simple 'white' message is
because so many people were accessing the website at once that it began to
'crash'. The white screen was easier for more people to open so that's why it
changed (not because your computer was broken).

Christmas Tree Blocks
If you received a wooden block with your Christmas tree this year that is no
longer required, please could you send it into school for use in the Science
Garden, for the attention of Mrs Taylor.

Dinner Money - Reminder

The cost of a school dinner is now £1.85 per day (£9.25 per week). It would be
very much appreciated by the office staff if parents could send in the correct
money (or a cheque). Many parents/carers are sending in £10 notes and we are
sometimes struggling to find enough change to send home. Thank you.

Supporting the NSPCC

Today, during a special assembly for each Key Stage, Jayne Moran from the NSPCC
talked to the children about the work of her charity. This was both an
educational and thought provoking assembly. The children were invited to help
other children by raising vital funds to support the work of the NSPCC which
includes the confidential telephone helpline service for children called
'CHILDLINE'.

The NSPCC is facing huge challenges in the current economic climate due to a
drop in charity donations, although ironically the demand for the NSPCC's
services has increased. I appreciate that there will be other pressures on your
household budge right now, but I truly hope that you can find a little money
for this special cause.

Your child has been given an activity sheet and sponsor form. If you would like
your child to participate in this activity, please ensure that the form and
sponsor money are returned to school by Thursday 28th January.

Please simply fill in your name on the sponsor form and the amount sponsored.
If you are a UK Tax Payer, and would like to allow the NSPCC to claim gift aid
from your donation, please complete your full name and address on the form and
tick the box at the end of the row.

All the money we raise will go towards the NSPCC. This will help them to
continue their good work and to carry on providing the services they offer to
as many children as possible.

Every child that completes the form with at least one sponsor will receive a
badge. The more sponsors that they collect the more badges they receive!!

Please help if you can. Your support is very much appreciated.

School Lunch - Week 2 Beginning 18th January
Please ensure that dinner money is paid on Friday if you want dinners next
week.  Only £9.25 per week. Money should be given, via your child, to their
teacher in an envelope marked 'Dinner Money' with their name, class and amount.
Cheques should be made payable to "Lancashire County Council".
Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Cod & Salmon Fishcakes, mixed veg., spicy wedges or Cheese & Broccoli Pasta
Bake, homemade dough balls, salad bar.

Baked Gammon & Pineapple, baked beans, potato waffles or Tomato Pasta, crusty
baguette.

Cottage Pie, gravy, baton carrots or Italian Meatballs with Pasta, garlic bread.

Roast Beef, Yorkshire Pudding, gravy, roast potatoes, broccoli or Chicken &
Sweetcorn Pasta, salad, baguette.

Lemon Sole Grill, garden peas, creamed potatoes or Tomato & Herb Spaghetti,
garlic bread.

Vanilla Ice Cream Sponge Roll.

Traditional Rice Pudding.

Cheddar Cheese & Biscuits.

Homemade Carrot Cake.

Sticky Parkin, custard sauce.

Usually available daily (subject to availability) stuffed jacket potatoes,
selection of sandwiches, salad, fresh or frozen yoghurt, fresh fruit, milk or
fruit drinks, homemade cakes and cookies.  Vegetarian/Religious diets also
available subject to demand.

Bug Busting Week

Because we didn't manage to get any of our Bug Busting diaries out to you last
Friday, we are holding our Bug Busting week next week.
This is the week where we ask you to comb through your child's/children's hair
every night for a week. When you do this we ask you to sign a special form to
say that this has been done. When the form is returned to school we will then
reward the children. Time to hunt out the Bug Busting comb you received last
term and look out for the letter and form that you will receive on Friday!!

Sensible clothing

If you are concerned about school shoes being too slippy - or getting damaged
in the snow and ice - for this time only we don't mind if the children come to
school in other sorts of footwear. (For example sturdy shoes or boots).

If the children come to school in wellies - please make sure that they have
other footwear to put on in school during the day.

Please also ensure that they bring a warm waterproof coat - and possibly hat,
scarf and gloves. (Don't forget to 'name' as many items as possible).

Friends of Broad Oak (PTA)

The next PTA meeting will take place on Wednesday, 20th January at 7pm in
school. All Parents are invited to attend - help us to raise funds to support
the children in this school.

Disco

The next disco will now be taking place on Friday, 5th February and not 15th
January as originally planned.  Further details to follow in forthcoming
newsletters.

Yours sincerely

Mr S B Smith

Headteacher

Did you know...
Did you know that CHILDLINE (0800 11 11) receives approximately 5,000 calls
every day and physical abuse is the most common 'topic' that children discuss.
It is vital that every child gets through, but tragically, due to limited
resources, CHILDLINE only manages to answer only two out of three calls.

This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail
or take any action in reliance on its content.