[Bristol-Birds] Re: screech owls

  • From: ahoodedwarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:22:06 -0400

Back on July 4, David Thometz and I saw and listen to an Eastern Screech-Owl at
home on Simerly Creek Road. I really enjoyed that sighting because the owl
remained in a mimosa tree long enough for me to get a flashlight and get some
incredible looks.

After that sighting, we often heard a screech-owl calling, especially just
after dark (between 9-10 p.m.) on several occasions.

I don't think I have heard any so far in August.

At home, I can usually count on, depending on the season, hearing 2 or 3
screech-owls if I make an effort to do so. I haven't done much hiking in the
woods to see if I can induce a screech-owl to respond to my attempts to imitate
its call. I do know that you really don't have to produce a convincing
imitation to get a screech-owl to call back. I most often encounter calling
screech-owls when I am doing my fall warbler watching, but that's probably
because I am out in the woods looking and listening more than at other times.

So, at least at home, I haven't detected any notable difference in the presence
of screech-owls.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN