[Bristol-Birds] outlying cloud cover moves ahead of Hanna's winds in NET

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 23:19:18 -0400

 Cloud cover begins to build in over Musick's Campground
 at South Holston Lake, Friday, at 8 p.m.  The surface wind was
 steady at about 15 to 20 mph from the SE throughout the
 evening.

Long steaks of clouds stripped across the evening sky as the
upper winds, perhaps, were being shredded by outer winds. It
made for some beautiful clouds.  Hugh circular swirls of clouds
twisting in a great counter clockwise direction, covered many
miles of the sky.

 Shorebirds could be heard calling in the night air well after dark.
 Otherwise, a few common species had taken earlier
 cover or had gone to roost.  A few Black Vultures finished
 off a dinner of fish before turning in for the night.

 Very high dark storm clouds shadowed Musick's Campground as
 nightfall arrived.  Many security night lights on poles brighten
 the area but also create significant reflections on the water's
 surface.  This will continue to attract nocturnal waterbird
 migrants to land on the water and shoreline which may now be
 more obvious as the birds approach Holston Mountain.  Some
of us now wonder if the high barrier is an effective migrant trap.

Forecast area remains situated between a very slowly advancing
cold front to our west and the outer bands of tropical storm Hanna
to our east. This front will weaken and heavy rainfall from
Hanna will remain to our east.

There is less and less chance we'll get rare storm-driven birds
from this passing tropical storm.

Let's go birding......

JPEG image

JPEG image