[Bristol-Birds] more about the Rusty Blackbirds at Paddle Creek

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 23:52:44 -0400

Area Birders,

Many of you may be rather astonished at
the number of Rusty Blackbirds estimated
in the vicinity of Paddle Creek Ponds on
Monday.

The post should have acknowledge the
rarity of such a number and other details.

The discover was made when a "cloud" of
what I estimated was nearly a thousand
blackbirds were being chased up into a
tight, swirling, flock by a Cooper's Hawk.

Amazingly, there were no apparent grackles
or red-wings.  As the flock spread out,
the numbers of cowbirds were noted by their
flight pattern.   I had my binoculars in hand
and my scope already setup and had been
using it to check the shoreline and some
waterfowl.

When the flock alighted, the characteristic
feeding posture of cowbirds was quickly
evident with their tails point up at steep
angles and brown heads and females could
be easily checked out.

Most of the flocks was a slightly larger
blackbird with some showing a yellow eye.
The windy conditions made it difficult to
check the eyes very carefully.  Several
times the flock would spook or flush and
fly about the field and then settled down.

There was an upright posture and not
little exaggerated tilting when the majority
of the non-cowbird individuals were feeding.

I could not find any individual that appeared
to be a grackle.

At one point, the entire flock flew out over
the pond and to the most shallow upper end.
As they flew in to land,  perhaps a hundred of
the non-cowbird individuals dropped directly
into the water and landed in what was maybe
belly deep or less water.  There was no
attempt to bathe but they appeared to casually
drink or probe at the surface.

The cowbirds separated and landed more
up slope on the bank and began feeding.
Some of the blackbirds did also but those
not feeding were on the mudflat and shoreline
close to the water.  They did not all drink or
probe the water.  The birds remained
at the water for as much as a minute before
they flew again.  I checked carefully to see
if the Cooper's had returned to the area and
maybe some unusual behavior was being
witnessed as they took a defensive position
in the water.  They were not alarmed.  I
found no raptor or predator present.  The
Cooper's had gone into a stand of nearby
evergreens and did not return.

The flock returned to the hillside field and
again fed as a nervous flocks.

The Brewer's Blackbird is a more western
species that should not occur in any notable
numbers this far east.  It is a more unusual
species in the region.

Some of the non-cowbirds had varying degrees
of brownish plumage but I did not detect the
light line which would be above the eyes.

After reading the literature and searching online,
I decided to call Dr. Andy Jones to bounce it all
off him.  I caught him just arriving home for the
evening and he had not yet seen my post to
Bristol Birds Net.

He has seen the Rusty Blackbirds drop into
water similar to what I noted and also feed in
open fields rather than their usual woodland
haunts and to wade in water in such fields.

Andy feels confident that the blackbirds settling
in the water is a notable Rusty Blackbird behavior.

Absence of red-wings and grackles, leaves almost
nothing else to expect in this situation.

I do not take lightly the fact that this large number of
Rusties is probably very, very rare in early fall and
might be more likely seen in spring migration.
It is a rare number in this region at any season.

Nor do I fail to acknowledge that the trend estimates
for this species and the annual decline since the 1960s
is consistently estimated at 85 to 95 percent.

Such a large estimated decline
is alarming, and portrays a species whose
decline has accelerated to a free fall.

This data comes from internet searches
and also the suggested North American population
at maybe 1.7 million when in the past their numbers
were believed to be an estimated 70 million.  I also
have been aware, for the past few years, that efforts
to learn more about their habits and habitats have
been a new endeavor and emphasis for birders.

So there you have something that probably should
have been written in the first place.  I fully realized
that most birders of significant experience do not
risk such discussions. They either don't want to
be second guessed or believe their reputation
and skills stands for themselves.

I deserve no shelter.

Let's go birding....

  Paddle Creek Ponds
  Sullivan Co, TN:

  Dunlin 1
  Rusty Blackbirds ~500
  Brown-headed Cowbirds ~300
  Eastern Meadowlark 10
  Hooded Merganser 3
  Killdeer 9
  Great Blue Heron 3
  Mallard 2
  Cooper's Hawk 1
  Gadwall 4

  Musick's Campground
  South Holston Lake
  Sullivan Co., TN

  Just a few minutes behind Rick Knight's observations.
  The only thing different was:

  Common Loon - 2

  Did see two birds at rest well downstream with the wind
  blowing too hard and waves creating too much movement
  for my scope.  Felt the birds might be scoters but could
  not get a positive ID on that, let alone the species.
  Was fascinated at the reports of Surf Scoters seen today.

  Rooty Branch Wetlands near Bristol TN Water Treatment
  Plan, eastern Sullivan Co:

  Wood Ducks 4
  Mallards 2

  Holston Mountain (3,500 ft. to 4,400 ft.) was white with
  snow near the top.

  Let's go birding. . . . .