[Bristol-Birds] late report Shady Valley field trip

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:55:19 -0500

SAT 19 FEB 2005
Shady Valley, Johnson Co., TN
D. Holt

The Elizabethton and Bristol chapters of TOS had concurrent field trips to
Shady Valley last Saturday.  Six members of the Elizabethton Chapter met in the
early afternoon and first visited Wynn Wood Wildlife Rehab in Stoney Creek.  We
saw many interesting animals under the Wynn's able care, including Screech,
Barred, and Great Horned Owls, Red-tailed and Cooper's Hawks.  The Wynn's
dedication and hard work are remarkable, and deserving of support.  Anyone
wishing to contribute to their efforts may do so with either time, materials or
money.  Contributions may be sent either through the local chapters of TOS
(Bristol or Elizabethton)  or directly to:
Wynn*Wood Wildlife Rehab
Geri Wynn, Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator
150 Cecil Estep Rd.
Elizabethton, TN 37643
e-mail: gwynn at usit dot net
Many thanks to the Wynns for taking time from their busy schedule to give us a
tour of their operation.

We continued on to Shady Valley, and our ranks swelled as the day progressed,
ending with at least 20 people from both chapters combined.  Participants
included Rick Knight, Jack Litz, Brookie and Jean Potter, Dianne Draper, Rob
Biller, Tom and JT McNeil, Allan Trently and his little shadow Jane, Larry
McDaniel and Janet Brown, Kim Stroud, Melinda Wilson, Eric Smith and spouse,
Chris O'Bryan, Rack and Carole Cross, and Don Holt.  My apologies for
ommissions or inaccuracies on this list.

Highlights of the days birding included 38 Rusty Blackbirds in Quarry Bog; and
1 Virginia Rail, 1 Wilson's Snipe, 2 American Woodcock, and 2 Great Horned
Owls, and 2 Mallards on a Mach 1 twilight strafing run (my personal most
exciting moment) at Orchard Bog.  Plus, I have a confession to make, the
spotlighted bird I accidentally flushed in the dark at Orchard Bog was probably
not a woodcock, but a Mourning Dove (my second most exciting moment).

Species List (my own abbreviated list, not compiled):
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Mallard
Great Blue Heron