[Bristol-Birds] Zion Crossroads- Harriers and Owls

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 07:30:23 -0800 (PST)

On Thursday, Laverne and I took a road trip to the Zion Crossroads area in
Louisa County, Virginia. We were hoping to see the Northern Harriers and
Short-eared Owls that had been reported in that area this winter. We were not
disappointed. We arrived at the old barn on East Jack Jouett Road at
approximately 5 PM and there were already Harriers hunting in the field. I
believe there were at least 15 Harriers active in the area including at least 5
males in their gray plumage.
We watched the Harriers until about 6 when they started moving out of the field
to the north. At about 6:20 with little light left we saw 4 Short-eared Owls
cross the road from the North and proceed to start hunting the fields. They
almost immediately disappeared in the darkness. This was one of those highlight
experiences in birding.

Tom & Laverne Hunter
Russell County Bird
 Club