[Bristol-Birds] Re: Yellow-rumped Warbler - Grayson Highlands S.P., Virginia

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx, Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:12:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

There have been a few reports of YRWA in breeding season in the
Smokies in the last few years.  None have been confirmed, but at
least 2 that I know of have been by birders who I believe to be very
reliable, including one this year.  Maybe it is something all of us
could try a bit harder on next year?

Charlie

--- Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ed Talbott and Area Birders,

> summer
> Yellow-rumped Warblers in the Grayson Highlands area?"
>
> The breeding season status of the Yellow-rumped Warbler in the
> Whitetop-Mt.
> Rogers-Grayson Highlands complex is a rare and local summer
> resident and, no
> doubt breeding in larger numbers than we have detected in the high
> country.
> My records indicate it has been recorded in the Grayson Highlands
> area since
> 2001. There are few public records.
>
> We have an apparent breeding record from Grayson Highlands State
> Park area:
> Alan Kneide had  "a family" of Yellow-rumped Warbler "evidently
> breeding"
> down the Grayson Virginia Highlands Horse Trail in the park last
> 14-15
> August (2004).
>
> Yellow-rumps have been breeding in the region since the early
> 1990s.  The
> species is expanding its southeast breeding range in spruce and fir
> areas
> above 4,000 feet throughout our region.   It began to establish
> itself at
> Roan Mountain Jun-16-Jul 1993 (pair, nest, 2 young) on the North
> Carolina
> side.  John Gerwin, of the North Carolina State Museum of Natural
> Science,
> and Rick Knight of Johnson City) there established the only
> breeding record
> south of West Virginia in the Appalachians at that time.
>
> The observation you and Michelle just reported is another valuable
> link.
>
> For those who have a chance to possibly find a nest,  it is usually
> built on
> horizontal limbs about two-thirds out from the trunk, but none at
> the
> outermost end. They are conspicuous from below but not from above.
> They may
> be expected 10 to 15 feet from the ground but possibly lower.  You
> might
> expect mammal hair and featherws woven in the nest cup.  The nest
> are almost
> always in evergreens such as spruce and fir (Arthur Cleveland Bent,
> 1953).
>
> Let's go birding.....
>
> Wallace Coffey
> Bristol, TN
>   ----- June 27, 2005 7:27 AM -Ed Talbott wrote ----
> > The big surprise of the day was a male Yellow-rumped Warbler in
> breeding
> > plumage singing from the top of a spruce
> > tree that we overlooked from one of the rocky outcrops. .
> .Wallace, do you
> > have the status of summer Yellow-rumped Warblers in the
> > Grayson Highlands area?  I know they are found on Roan Mt. in
> June and
> > Mike Boatwright found two on Whitetop on June 28, 2004.  Thanks.

> [...]

Charlie Muise, Naturalist in
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"To the dull mind all nature is leaden.  To the illuminated mind
the whole world sparkles with light."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com