[Bristol-Birds] Worm-eating Warbler - Swainson's Thrush

  • From: Roger Mayhorn <rogermayhorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 21:09:23 -0700 (PDT)

Area Birders,
  Thirty-one species were found around our house yesterday here on Compton Mt.
The highlight of the day was the Cooper's Hawk that I posted yesterday, but
other birds, like the first Swainson's Thrush of the season, were also nice.
Worm-eating Warblers made use of my small stream with three coming to bathe at
once, but one was a bit territorial and chased the other two away before I
could get all three in a photo.
  Photos of a single Worm-eating can be seen at
http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/new_birds&page=2

  A Blue-headed Vireo also made an appearance. At least 20 Tennessee Warblers,
probably more, came through. Black-throated Greens, Chestnut-sided, Magnolias
and Yellow-throated Warblers were also among the birds feeding in the yard. The
Tennessees came down to search for insects among the Goldenrod plants and the
Queen of the Meadow flower heads. The complete list follows.

  Roger Mayhorn
  Compton Mt (near Grundy)
  Buchanan County

   31 Species
American Crow 1
American Goldfinch 6
Black-throated Green Warbler 3 (1m)
Blue-headed Vireo 1
Brown Thrasher 2
Carolina Chickadee 1
Carolina Wren 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler 2f
Chipping Sparrow 3
Cooper?s Hawk 1 (immature)
Downy Woodpecker 1m
Eastern Phoebe 1
Eastern Towhee 1m
Eastern Wood Pewee 1
House Finch 2
Magnolia Warbler 3
Mourning Dove 3
Northern Cardinal 2f
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Red-eyed Vireo 2
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 3
Scarlet Tanager 5 (2m,3f)
Song Sparrow 2
Swainson?s Thrush 1 (first of the season)
Tennessee Warbler 20
Tufted Titmouse 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Wood Thrush 1