[Bristol-Birds] White-winged Scoter, Goldeneye at Musick's

  • From: "Allen Boynton" <allenboynton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Blue Ridge Birders" <blueridgebirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 06:20:01 -0500

Gale Kuebler and I made an afternoon trip to NE Tenn Sunday afternoon. We were
pleasantly surprised to find a white-winged scoter and a common goldeneye at
South Holston Lake.  Both were seen from Musick's Campground.  The scoter was
with three ring-necked ducks across the lake on the Virginia side.  The
goldeneye was feeding just off the near shore in the vicinity of a gull roost.
There were about 350+ ring-billed gulls present.

Another pleasant surprise was to find four tree swallows on South Holston River
midway between the weir dam and Bluff City.  Waterfowl at the weir dam included
many bufflehead, several widgeon, several mallards, a pair of green-winged
teal, two ruddies, and one lesser scaup.

Allen Boynton
Troutdale, VA