[Bristol-Birds] Water areas--Washington and Sullivan Counties

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 20:54:11 -0400

Gil  Derouen and I birded several water areas in Washington and Sullivan
Counties--a summary follows:

Austin Springs
Wood Duck                            2
Green-winged Teal                  3
Wilson's Snipe                         6
Wild Turkeys     5   ( just off Austin Springs Rd before we got to the
Humphreys farm)
Barn Swallow                           1
Yellow-rumped Warbler            3
Field Sparrow                           1
Savannah Sparrows                  12
Purple Finch                             4
After birding the area, we happened to meet Rick Knight on the Austin Springs
Rd Bridge.  He showed us an Osprey (downstream from the bridge) that was
sitting on a tree branch so far from the bridge that it was difficult to pick
out with binoculars--clearly an Osprey with the help of a scope, however.
Thanks, Rick.

Viewed from 11E just NE of Piney Flats (we pulled off on the shoulder to watch)
Two Red-tailed Hawks in an aerial skrimish with a mature Bald Eagle

Paddle Creek
Gadwall               2
Am. Kestrel         1
Canada Geese and Mallards

Weir Dam
Winter Wren         1
Purple Finch         1

Musick's Campground
D.C. Cormorant             1
Common Loon               5
Scaup Sp.                      19
Bufflehead                      1
Horned Grebe                 2
Pied Billed Grebe            3
Ring-billed Gull              ~175

TWRA Boat Launch area off Painter Creek Road
Long-tailed Duck
Ring-billed Gull                  500 estimate    Many of these gulls were in
almost constant motion, so this was the best estimate we could make.
The Long-tailed Duck was in the shallow bay to the right of the road into the
boat launch area that is visible before one gets to the boat launch area.

Middlebrook Lake
Canada Geese, Mallards, Coots and 2 Kingfishers    There were at least 30 coots
in a tight group across the lake from the Redstone Rd. viewing area.  They were
near the yard where the lady regularly feeds the waterfowl.  This seemed like a
larger group of coots than we have commonly seen there.

Roy Knispel
Johnson City, TN