[Bristol-Birds] Washington County/Greene County - Sunday 2/27/05

  • From: merlinz02@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:16:13 -0500

Hello Bristol and Surrounding Community Birders,

  Tom McNeil, JT McNeil, and myself (Rob Biller) birded Sunday (2/27/05)
in Washington County and Greene Counties (or as we were calling it, Don
Miller Country) to try and find a few of the specialties that Don
Miller has been reporting. We DID NOT find the Brewer's or Rusty
Blackbirds that we were hoping for, but we did make a pretty good list
and I even got to add a life bird to my list. The following is our list
- documenting where we first saw the species and a few notes.

 Mallard (Greene County)
  Wild Turkey (Greene County - seen from Washington County while walking
through Davey Crockett Birthplace State Park)
 Great Blue Heron (Greene County - I think)
 Black Vulture (Greene County)
 Turkey Vulture (Greene County)
  Northern Harrier (Greene County - Toby Rd - total of 3 for the day all
in Greene County)
 Red-tailed Hawk (Greene County)
  American Kestrel (~50 during the day - first one in Washington County,
but numerous in Greene County)
 MERLIN (Hwy 348 - Between Glades Rd and Bible Rd)
 Killdeer (Greene County)
 Wilson's Snipe (Greene County)
 Ring-billed Gull (Carter County)
 Rock Pigeon (Washington County)
  EURASIAN COLLARED DOVE (Greene County - West Greene High School -
total of 3 and life bird for me)

Quick note of concern about Eurasian Collared Dove - I have had
numerous conversations with birders in Tampa and Texas(Sheridan Coffey
- compiler of the Texas RBA) concerning this species. They inform me
that once this species takes hold of an area, they move in quite
fiercely. As Sheridan puts it, "You will hate the day you ever saw this
bird." Somewhat in jest I am sure, but also it is something to watch.
Our Mourning Doves may be in for a run for their territory as time
moves on. Is this a precursor of things to come for our area? Something
to definitely to watch.

  Belted Kingfisher (Washington County/Greene County Line - Davey
Crockett Birthplace State Park)
  Red-bellied Woodpecker (Washington County/Greene County Line - Davey
Crockett Birthplace State Park)
  Downy Woodpecker (Washington County/Greene County Line - Davey
Crockett Birthplace State Park)
 Northern Flicker (Greene County)
  Pileated Woodpecker (Washington County/Greene County Line - Davey
Crockett Birthplace State Park)
 Eastern Phoebe (Greene County)
 Blue Jay (Greene County)
 American Crow (Washington County)
 Common Raven (Carter County - Tom and JT before they picked me up)
 Horned Lark (Washington County - Keebler Rd)
  PURPLE MARTIN (Greene County - Hwy 340 - Fish Hatchery Exit off I-81 -
First of the Season for us)
 TREE SWALLOW (~300+ - Hwy 340 - First of the Season for us)
  Carolina Chickadee (Washington County/Greene County Line - Davey
Crockett Birthplace State Park)
 Tufted Titmouse (Greene County)
  White-breasted Nuthatch (Washington County/Greene County Line - Davey
Crockett Birthplace State Park)
  Carolina Wren (Washington County/Greene County Line - Davey Crockett
Birthplace State Park)
  Golden-crowned Kinglet (Washington County/Greene County Line - Davey
Crockett Birthplace State Park)
  Eastern Bluebird (Washington County/Greene County Line - Davey
Crockett Birthplace State Park)
  American Robin (Washington County/Greene County Line - Davey Crockett
Birthplace State Park)
  Northern Mockingbird (Washington County/Greene County Line - Davey
Crockett Birthplace State Park)
 European Starling (all the above places)
  Yellow-rumped Warbler (Washington County/Greene County Line - Davey
Crockett Birthplace State Park)
 Eastern Towhee (Greene County)
  Field Sparrow (Washington County/Greene County Line - Davey Crockett
Birthplace State Park)
  Song Sparrow (Washington County/Greene County Line - Davey Crockett
Birthplace State Park)
  White-throated Sparrow (Washington County/Greene County Line - Davey
Crockett Birthplace State Park)
 Northern Cardinal (Washington County)
 Eastern Meadowlark (Greene County)
 Common Grackle (Carter County, Greene County)
 Brown-headed Cowbird (Greene County)
 House Finch (Greene County)
  American Goldfinch (Cocke County - Toby Hollow Rd --- NOT TOBY RD but
our excursion off the beaten path - literally)
 House Sparrow (Greene County)

 Rob Biller
 Elizabethton, TN