[Bristol-Birds] Washington Co. heronry

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:45:04 -0400

Sun. 25 APR 2004
Hwy 107, Washington Co., TN
D. Holt

It's funny how things come together sometimes.  During the Herndon TOS Spring
Count on Saturday, I noticed in passing some nests in the top of some dead
pines on the south side of the road on Hwy 107 near the point where the
Nolichucky River comes closest to the road, close to mile marker 5, between
Onks Lane and Roaring Creek Road.  Sunday at the Herndon compilation I learned
that Joe McGuiness had been watching them in hopes it would be an active Great
Blue Heron nesting colony.  I went by them on my way to the Greeneville Bird
Club's count compilation Sunday about 4:30 pm and counted 19 nests with Great
Blue Herons on them.  At the Greeneville compilation I found that several other
birders had noticed the nests earlier also.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN