[Bristol-Birds] Warbler Numbers Winding Down

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 01:07:06 -0400

Hi All,
I counted 39 species around the place yesterday here on Compton Mt at 2400 ft
elevation. The numbers of warblers and thrushes have dropped over the past few
days but there still seems to be a few RB Grosbeaks and Gray Catbirds passing
through.

Six species of warblers came in to the yard, some to the stream - A juvenile
male Am Redstart, a Bay-breasted Warbler, a female Common Yellowthroat, a
Hooded Warbler ( not enough of a look to determine the sex), 3 Magnolia
Warblers and 5 Tennessee Warblers.

I was a bit surprised by a couple of species, a Blue-headed Vireo, a species I
hadn't seen in a couple of months, and a Hairy Woodpecker, a species we don't
get often on our property.

Two Pileated Woodpeckers, a species I do see and hear often, flew in for a few
minutes, then retreated again to the deeper woods.

Two male Scarlet Tanagers and two male RB Grosbeaks kept busy feeding on Poke
Berries and Giant Ragweed seeds.

Five Wild Turkeys, all hens, were catching grasshoppers in the neighbor's
pasture.

At least one Wood Thrush, one Swainson's Thrush, a Brown Thrasher and a few
Catbirds were feeding on wild grapes, just beyond the edge of the yard.

The day's complete list follows.

Roger Mayhorn
Compton Mt
Buchanan County

 39 Species

American Goldfinch 6

American Redstart 1 juv m

American Robin 8

Bay-breasted Warbler 1

Blue-headed Vireo 1

Blue Jay 10

Brown-headed Cowbird 2m

Brown Thrasher 1

Carolina Chickadee 2

Carolina Wren 2

Cedar Waxwing 2

Chipping Sparrow 6

Common Yellowthroat 1f

Downy Woodpecker 1m

Eastern Bluebird 1m

Eastern Phoebe 1

Eastern Wood Pewee 1

Eastern Towhee 5

European Starling 65

Gray Catbird 5

Hairy Woodpecker 1

Hooded Warbler 1

House Finch 2f

House Sparrow 3f

Magnolia Warbler 3 (1m, 2f)

Mourning Dove 9

Northern Cardinal 2(1m, 1f)

Northern Flicker 3

Pileated Woodpecker 2

Red-bellied Woodpecker 1m

Rose-breasted Grosbeak 2m (1 juv m) (one feeding on Giant Ragweed)

Scarlet Tanager 2m (one feeding on Poke Berries)

Song Sparrow 3

Swainson's Thrush 1

Tennessee Warbler 5

Tufted Titmouse 3