[Bristol-Birds] Various fall birds (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Butternuts <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 23:37:32 -0400

October 3, 2004
Nolichuckey Environmental Study Area (along the Nolichuckey River
between Kinser Park and Highway 70 (Asheville Highway), Greene County)

Don Holt, Jim Holt, and I spent about three hours this morning at
Nolichuckey Environmental Study Area.  Birding was slow at first, but as
the fog burned off and the sun came out, we slowly and steadily built a
solid list of observations, including a few surprises.  Here are the
highlights of our list, with comments:

Great Blue Heron (2);
Great Egret;
Wood Duck (91, conservatively counted--a very high total for this
species in Greene County);
Blue-winged Teal (2, very conservatively counted--many dabbling ducks
were glimpsed flying behind trees but could not be identified);
Osprey (heard but not seen);
Broad-winged Hawk;
Ring-billed Gull (a very early date for this uncommon Greene County
species; the bird was flying steadily downriver);
Tree Swallow (at least 3);
White-breasted Nuthatch;
Gray Catbird (2);
Northern Parula (first-fall female);
Tennessee Warbler (at least 8);
Magnolia Warbler (at least 3);
Yellow-rumped Warbler (at least 1);
Blackburnian Warbler;
Pine Warbler;
American Redstart;
Northern Waterthrush (6, conservatively counted--this high total was
perhaps due to the abundance of wet woods as a result of plentiful fall
rain).

Don Miller
Greeneville, TN