[Bristol-Birds] VSO Weekend a Success - Links to photos

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 15:25:22 -0400

Area Birders,
The annual VSO meeeting that took place at the Breaks Interstate Park this past
weekend came off without a hitch, except for a bit of damp weather on Friday
Morning and Sunday. 145 birders registered for the event with 141 actually
showing up. The weather and the birds cooperated the last half of Friday and
all day Saturday.

The Early Birding on Friday at our place here on Compton Mt and on the
reclaimed strip site of Enoch's Branch near Grundy brought visitors some great
looks at several bird species. A Cerulean sang near our yard with vireos,
grosbeaks, thrashers, Pine Siskins, towhees, Cedar Waxwings, Yellow Warblers,
Redstarts, Chats, Blackburnian and Chestnut-sided Warblers making appearances.
Enoch's Branch produced Golden-winged and Blue-winged Warblers with a possible
Brewster's sighting. The Golden-wings gave great looks, even allowing scope
views for some. The hike there finished with a grand finale, when a striking
Cape May Warbler came down to eye level and put on a spectacular performance
for everyone.

After the Business Session on Friday afternoon, Ed Talbott III presented a
video program of the Birds of the Breaks. I followed with a Power Point program
about the different trails to be birded on Saturday with photos of some of the
birds likely to be found along them.

The reception on Friday evening went well with author and birdsong expert, Don
Kroodsma, mingling and signing copies of his new book, The Singing Life of
Birds.
At 5:00 a.m. Saturday morning Don Kroodsma and I left the park to come back to
our place here on Compton Mt. to give Mr. Kroodsma the opportunity to record
bird songs. While here he found a White-eyed Vireo which facinated him, because
it mimicked a Blue Jay, Towhee, a Wood Thrush and several other species.

Birders spent the beautiful sunny day of Saturday birding the park trails and
surrounding area. Birds were singing everywhere. The hikes winded their way
through the freshly leaved forests of the park. Ovenbirds and Hooded Warblers
were heard at every turn. Swainson's Warblers were heard and seen as were
Cerulean Warblers, Scarlet Tanagers and Kentucky Warblers. The most unusual
birds found were the Sora Rail and American Bittern that were observed on
Laurel Lake within a minute's hike of the park lodge. Both of these birds were
first records for the immediate area. Several birders got lifebirds during the
outings. One couple got six.

In the afternoon research papers were presented at the Paper Session.

After another reception on Saturday with birders perusing the wares of the 18
vendors and displayers, the group sat down to a banquet of delicious food. That
was followed by a presentation of awards with a very funny story by VSO
president, John Spahr. Thelma Dalmas was presented with the first Mirriam Moore
Award, and was given a beautiful bird statue by past VSO president, Teta Kain.
Then came an excellent presentation by author, Don Kroodsma. His enthusiasm for
listening to birds was evident as he played birdsongs and analyzed them using
computerized sonagrams. He played some of the White-eyed Vireo song that he had
recorded earlier that morning and showed how to find the subtle calls of other
songbirds couched within its own song.

At 5:30 Sunday morning Mr. Kroodsma, being the nice guy that he is, did an
outdoor workshop on how to listen to birds. He came up with the idea and
volunteered to do the workshop for free. His workshop fortunately ended before
the rain began. In spite of the rain birders found several birds singing along
the trails during the day.

We members of the Buchanan County Bird Club considered it an honor to host this
event. Our efforts were amply rewarded by the positive comments and great
attitudes of those who attended. We had a great time. We hope all of you who
were there enjoyed it as much as we did.

Here is a link to our VSO website updated today by our own Ed Talbott. It
contains links to photos by BCBC members of the events, birds and scenery of
the Breaks Park.
http://www.bcplnet.org/birdclub/VSOPost1.htm

Good Birding,

Roger Mayhorn - BCBC President
Ed Talbott -BCBC Vice President
Lynda Mayhorn BCBC Secretary/Treasurer and title to everything else that needs
doing.