[Bristol-Birds] Swifts, nighthawks, swallows in Elizabethton

  • From: "Thomas McNeil" <tsmcneil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:3:31 -0400

15October2004
Carter County
Elizabethton, TN

WHEW!!!!

Early this afternoon, downtown Elizabethton looked like an Alfred Hitchcock
movie.  It was incredible.  You could feel the intensity in the air.

As I was coming out of Stoney Creek onto 19E, I noticed a large flock of
Chimney Swifts over the Food City store.  As I drove along Broad Street,
the flock continued.  It was one massive movement of Chimney Swifts.  Birds
whirling like mad bees pouring from a hive.  It was nearly continuous from
19E to T.A. Dugger Junior High.  I would have to estimate well over two
thousand Chimney Swifts visible at one time!  (and that's probably being
conservative!)

While sitting outside of T.A. Dugger waiting for J.T. to get out of school,
there was a mass movement of starlings.  Several thousand!  All the parents
were sitting in their cars looking up into the air and the trees at the
incredible commotion.

Chimney Swifts continued to move over in large waves.  Blue Jays were
flying over in regular intervals.  At one point a flock of about 75 Common
Nighthawks flew through.  A few minutes later a flock of 150 or so Tree
Swallows came through.

It was definitely an incredible sight.  Lasting all of about 30 minutes.

By the time J.T. got out (2:15pm), the skies were almost quiet.  Chimney
Swifts were still flying through, but only in relatively small groups.  The
starlings had disappeared.

Thomas S. McNeil
Elizabethton, TN
tsmcneil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx