[Bristol-Birds] Shorebirds, Laughing Gull, etc. (Cocke Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 22:49:23 -0400 (EDT)

September 20, 2008

Cocke County--

Dutch Bottoms (DB) (Douglas Lake shoreline along Highway 25-E);
Ten Islands (TI) (Douglas Lake shoreline at end of Brown's Hollow Road);
Rankin Bridge (on French Broad River at upper end of Rankin Bottoms)

[note: TI cannot be accessed by land except through private property, and
permission must be obtained to do so; Michael Sledjeski graciously made
arrangements for access]

Observers: Terry Alford, Jim Anderson, Dianne Draper, Leslie Gibbens, Ginger
Goolsby, Don Holt, Rick Knight, Rose Lapp, Ron Lapp, Don Miller, Eric Noblet,
Kathy Noblet, Brookie Potter, Jean Potter, Michael Sledjeski

A large group of birders, mostly from the Tri-cities area, visited Cocke County
this morning and afternoon.  (I hope I haven't omitted anyone; if I have,
someone please send a correction.)  Michael Sledjeski and I also birded Rankin
Bridge briefly afterward.

Results were good.  A partial list includes:

Double-crested Cormorant (221--200+ at Rankin Bridge, the rest seen earlier)
Great Egret (108)
Osprey (2, Rankin Bridge)
Cooper's Hawk (TI)
American Golden-Plover (TI)