[Bristol-Birds] Selasphorus Hummingbird

  • From: Herdfanmark@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:26:25 EDT

Greetings from Claytor Lake,
                                 On  10-23-08 I spotted a hummer perched on a
utility line off my back deck, by  the time I retrieved my binoculars it flew
away.  I thought that it was  probably a late ruby-throated.  The next day
(10-24-08) I saw a hummer on  the hummingbird feeder. It did not look like a
ruby-throated, and as  I observed it more closely I noticed it had brownish
coloration  on its flanks, and on the sides of its breast.  I then took several

photos of the bird.  I came to the conclusion that it was a Rufus  Hummingbird,
after showing the photos to several other knowledgeable birders,  that had
seen this species before, they agreed with my ID.
 This bird is a Immature female Rufus or Allen's Hummingbird(Genus
Selasphorus).  She was still here on Saturday, and today. I hope she sticks
around.

                          Good Birding,

                           Mark Mullins

                           Pulaski County, Va