[Bristol-Birds] Re: Screech Owl Query

  • From: Bill Cawood <b_cawood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: khale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 16:36:11 -0800 (PST)

Ken,
I have not seen a roadkill screech owl in at least 3 years.  I have however
found 2 roadkill barred owls on US 58 Alt between Norton and Coeburn Va
recently.  I don't travel that road often but I did see the two birds in
January; one on January 1 and one on January 24.  I also found the remains of
what I suspect to have been a red shouldered hawk on a very out of the way road
in Wise County Virginia between Wise and Pound.  The bird's remains were along
the road near an illegal dump close to a defunct surface mine.  I have no
hypotheses for how the bird got there.

On a more positive note:  I saw 13 GBH standing on/near nests in 22 nest
rookerie on Buthcer's Fork of Powell River near Big Stone Gap, VA.  I have been
trying to monitor these nests for the past 3-4 years.  I have not accrued any
serious data however.  It has been interesting to watch the birds and take some
interested people to view them.
Ken Hale <khale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Several years ago, I would regularly encounter road-killed screech owls (for
lack of a better term). Tried to slow down and look for leg bands.
As I traveled back from Beech Mountain to Bristol last night, I realized it had
been quite some time since I have seen a screech owl on the roadside, or had
one stoop in front of the car.

When did you see your last road-killed screech owl? With what frequency do/did
you see them?

Ken Hale