[Bristol-Birds] Rough-legged Hawk, Greene Co, TN 3-13-11

  • From: david kirschke <dkirschke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 19:11:37 -0700 (PDT)

After reading Don Miller's post I decided to spend Sunday morning birding
Jochim
Bible Refuge (Lick Creek Bottoms WMA).  I spent several hours scanning the
trees.  It was cool and overcast and nothing was flying except 2 Northern
Harriers.  I studied 8-10 Buteos perched around the refuge and a light-headed
juvenile Red-tailed Hawk kept catching my eye (photo at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkirschke/ ), but no Rough-legged Hawk.  I left
briefly to get some lunch and returned to sunny skies and warmer temperatures.
Driving around the perimeter of the refuge I spotted Buteos soaring everywhere
in the strong winds.  One was the light phase Rough-legged Hawk reported
previously, soaring up and going away.  I jumped in my car and chased in the
direct it was headed to try to shoot some photos, but came up empty.  A nice
adult Red-tailed Hawk did cooperate, though.  Thanks to Don for the post.

David Kirschke
Johnson City, TN