[Bristol-Birds] Roan Mountain birding 9-4-2005

  • From: Jacob Job <zjrj5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 13:29:53 -0700 (PDT)

I took a trip to Roan Mountain this morning in hopes of a few life listers.  On
the way up saw a few Red-breasted Nuthatch along one of the pulloffs.  That was
a first for me.  Once at Carvers Gap, I parked and took a trail near the
outhouse and saw many warblers and other birds in the thicket.  I positively
identified Blue-winged warbler, Blackburnian warbler, Gray catbird, and
Dark-eyed juncos.  I had another warbler with a gray head and greenish-yellow
wash on the underbody with no wing bars, but couldnt quite identify it.  Also
there were three brown birds flying from tree to tree together that had brown
streaks on the breast and were quite noisy.  Not sure what they were.  Climbing
up the balds, I had Bank and Cliff swallows everywhere.  Also had three
Sharp-shinned hawks at once.  In the evergreen forest on the way up, I had many
golden-crowned kinglets and more Juncos.  I can definitely tell I need to get
back in the swing of things when it comes to birding.  I had to
 much of
 a break from it during the summer.  I hope to break the 200 life-list mark
soon, so I better get to it.  Can't wait to get out there again soon!

Jacob Job
Johnson City, TN
ETSU

http://mail.yahoo.com