[Bristol-Birds] Red-shouldered Hawk nest (possible)

  • From: Bill Cawood <b_cawood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 18:01:10 -0700 (PDT)

Birders,
I may need some corroboration on this but I think I have found a red-shouldered
hawk nest on the Greenbelt in Big Stone Gap, VA.  The possible nest is in a
large old black oak on a small bluff above the floodplain of the Powell River,
Main Fork.  Riparian area, plenty of fat squirrels.  I heard the bird calling
while walking the greenbelt and surveying tornado damage.  I looked and looked
for a bird soaring or perched.  Then I saw the bundle of twigs in the fork with
a head poking out.  Would the female be on eggs already?  I will continue to
investigate.
Randy or Lois, I would appreciate your input.

Bill Cawood, Big Stone Gap, VA