[Bristol-Birds] Rankin mudbirds etc.

  • From: "michael sledjeski" <mtnsylva@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:26:00 -0400

Rankin Bottoms, Cocke county, 8/30/06, 7:00 - 8:30 PM
Douglas Lake elevation:  982.3'
Observers: Michael Sledjeski, Leslie Gibbens

The gradual drawdown of the lake results in a steadily increasing band of mudluscious shoreline (now over 2 miles), and more shorebirds are stopping over to feed. Even though we used a spotting scope from shore, some birds were still too far for conclusive identification. Conditions should become optimal for viewing from land in about a week.

There seemed to be even more killdeer than ever, so I counted them by fives until I decided I should concentrate on other species in the fading light.

Highlights:

Wood stork (imm.)
White ibis (imm.)

Semi-palmated plover (12)
Killdeer (480+), a new maximum count for Rankin
Greater yellowlegs
Lesser yellowlegs (6)
Willet
Spotted sandpiper
Sanderling (14)
Semipalm. sandpiper (20+)
Least sandpiper (20+)
Pectoral sandpiper (60+)
Stilt sandpiper (9)
Short-billed dowitcher (34)
Wilson's snipe

Forster's tern
Black tern (3)

Michael Sledjeski
Cocke county TN

************************************************* BRISTOL BIRDS NET LIST Bristol Birds Net Photo Gallery located at: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/jwcoffeyy/album?.dir=/efd5

http://bristolbirdclub.org

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia