[Bristol-Birds] Rankin float

Rankin Bottoms, Cocke County
Douglas Lake elevation:  994.1 - full summer pool

Late yesterday, we led a group of Sierra Club paddlers into some of the sloughs
and coves north of Rankin Bridge. We found that Double-crested Cormorants have
established a rookery in the cottonwoods about a half-mile from the bridge.
Nearby is an active Osprey nest, #15 in Cocke county. Yellow-crowned
Night-heron and Greater Scaup were the most unusual sightings for the day.

Partial list:
Wood Duck (20+)
Greater Scaup (rounded head, bulkier body than Lesser)
Double-crested Cormorant (200+, 16 active nests)
    http://www.pbase.com/sylvafoto/image/143595921
Great Blue Heron (20, with at least 8 nestlings in Morris Island heronry)
Great Egret (10)
Green Heron (5)
Black-cr.Night-Heron (12)
   image of juv:   http://www.pbase.com/image/143595798/large
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (juv.)
     http://www.pbase.com/sylvafoto/image/143594783
     http://www.pbase.com/sylvafoto/image/143595866
Osprey (7)
Red-headed Woodpecker
Great Crested Flycatcher
Cliff Swallow (500+)
Prothonotary Warbler (9)
Orchard Oriole (4)
Baltimore Oriole (3)

Michael Sledjeski & Leslie Gibbens
Del Rio TN

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsitep6&PHPSESSID²eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

and Northeast Tennessee.