[Bristol-Birds] Night Birds

Last night at about 9 PM, I was on Merlin Ridge, above my home in Cocke county,
listening to owls and nightjars.  There's a brief spell after sunset when all
the whip-poor-wills in the hollow  join in calling, in an unsynchronized chorus
.  Each seems to have a slightly different pitch and repetition rate.  Facing
westward and cupping my ears in 5 directions from south to north, I could pick
out sat least 10 individuals calling.  Or so it seemed -it  might have been as
few as 8 or as many as 15.  No doubt there's some less crude methodology for
identifying individual calls.

I also heard a pair of great horned owls, calls sometimes overlapping, before
the w-p-w ensemble got going.

Michael Sledjeski
       BRISTOL BIRDS NET LIST

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsitep6&PHPSESSID²eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

Nature Calendar for NE TN / SW VA:
http://www.google.com:80/calendar/embed?src=eHlvbjQyQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ

and Northeast Tennessee.