[Bristol-Birds] New Yard Bird/Kingsport

  • From: wwg <wwg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Bird List <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 16:09:48 -0500

I drove in and there was a Common Grackle on the bird feeder chowing
down on black sunflower seeds which I think is a first in my yard.
Certainly first of the year.

A little later, just before the start of a rainshower, I spent a few
minutes sitting on the patio in my yard to see what was flying around.
Mostly the normal, Yellow-rumped Warblers, American Goldfinches, Brown
Thrasher (1st this year), Carolina Chickadees, Blue Jay,... Suddenly
everybody left as a larger bird flew in and landed in an elm. It started
raining a little harder, but I sat there with a great, long look at a
Coopers Hawk, certainly a first in the yard. I have had raptors  before
and they were probaby Coopers, but this was my first opportunity to get
a good look.

Bill Grigsby
Kingsport, TN