[Bristol-Birds] NOTE Area Red Crossbills

  • From: Whoopinwiller@xxxxxxx
  • To: butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 23:33:53 EDT

Steele Creek Park
Bristol, TN
Sullivan County
NOrtheast TEnnessee
Rack Cross
Rudy Morales, Steele Creek Park Naturalist
.
This afternoon as I searched for migrants in the Steele Creek Park upper
parking area across from the Golf Pro Shop I discovered a nice surprise: a pair
of
Red Crossbills! The first bird noticed was yellowish with dark wings and the
shyer of the two was a more striking red. I photographed the birds and
summoned the Naturalist on Duty, Rudy Morales to witness the sighting. Rudy got
good
looks at his lifer at close range.  This species is listed as Rare in the park
by Dr. Andrew W. Jones, author of the park's bird checklist.
.
Red Crossbill - 2

.
'Til we bird again