[Bristol-Birds] NE TN heronry activity

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:34:02 -0500

Great Blue Heron nest-building reports
Sullivan Co. and Washington Co., TN
D. Holt
---------------------------------------
Mary Erwin reported on bristolbirds:

Subj:    [Bristol-Birds] Patrick Henry Dam Heronry
  Date:    2/24/2005 2:37:42 PM Eastern Standard Time
  From:    "Mary Erwin"
  To:    <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Sent from the Internet (Details)

Today at 2 pm I was riding across Hammond Bridge (Hwy 36 below Fort
Patrick Henry Dam) with some friends when Julia Bynum alerted us to 1
Great Blue Heron flying toward the rookery carrying a very long branch.
This is the first nesting activity I have seen at this location for the
season.

Mary Erwin

Kingsport

Hey Mary Jane,
Your guys and my guys are in synch.  I noticed nest building at the Hwy 107
heronry (near Clarks Creek in Washington Co., TN) about Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2005.
 I have only seen around twenty birds at any one time, but have counted at
least 14 nests so far, maybe a couple more in the back hidden in some live
white pines.  Only six or so of those nests were left from the nineteen last
year, the rest are all new material.  Tuesday evening, the new ones were just a
tracery of twigs.  By late Wednesday morning they were noticeably denser.
Building continues as of this morning, Friday, Feb. 25.
Don Holt
Johnson City, TN