[Bristol-Birds] NE TN Shovelers, Goldeneyes et al

Wednesday, Jan. 28, 2004
Washington and Sullivan Co., TN
D. Holt

In Washington Co. at the pond along the road between Bowmantown Ruritan (Hwy
75) and Willie's store (Oakland Rd.) I found a Green-winged Teal and 1 male &
1 female Northern Shoveler.

In Sullivan Co., at Boone Dam was 1 female Red-breasted Merganser.

At Osceola Island below the Weir Dams, I saw four (4) female Common
Goldeneyes among the numerous Buffleheads.  This was from the first parking lot
after
the bridge.  Above the Weir Dams near the top of the island were several Canada
Geese that seemed to be quite short-necked.  Does anybody around here know
about which race they might be?

Just below South Holston Dam there were eleven (11) Lesser Scaup (if somebody
finds any of these to be Greater, please correct me).

Musick's Campground at twilight had no apparent birds.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN