[Bristol-Birds] Mourning Warbler, Empidonax flycatchers (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: "Donald Miller" <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 18:37:38 -0400

August 25, 2006

On my way to work this morning, I stopped briefly on West Barton Ridge Road
here in Greeneville and was delighted to find a Mourning Warbler.  The bird, a
first-fall specimen, perched high along the edge of a little thicket and gave
me a point-blank look for a few seconds before flying into another tangle.

Yesterday, August 24, I found two Empidonax flycatchers along Brown's Bridge
Road, near Tusculum in Greene County.

The first Empid was rather large and appeared to show little eye-ring, although
my look was only brief.  I have no doubt that it was an Acadian, an Alder, or a
Willow, but since the bird didn't vocalize, I would not hazard a guess.

The second bird gave me several long looks over a period of about 15-20
minutes.  It was quite small, with a strong green wash on the back, a very
short tail, a very large head, a well-formed eye-ring, and much yellow on the
underparts.  I suspect Yellow-bellied rather than Least, but since it did not
vocalize, I am uncertain as to which.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN

pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx