[Bristol-Birds] Merlin at Oak Hill Cemetery, Kingsport

  • From: "Rick Phillips" <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 09:44:09 -0400

I have been checking regularly near sunset for Merlins at Oak Hill Cemetery
in Kingsport for the past few weeks.  In past years I have not looked for
them this early in the season and usually have not seen any birds until cold
weather in December or January.  Yesterday (Oct 25) at around 4:30 pm I saw
my first Merlin of the season.  The bird was perched in the top of a live
spruce tree in the same general area (near the center of the cemetery) where
two Merlins wintered last year.  Hopefully this is one of our wintering
birds and will be around for a few months of enjoyment.

Rick Phillips
Kingsport