[Bristol-Birds] Merlin, Kingsport, Oak Hill Cemetary

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 19:50:13 -0500

This evening I had a good look at a MERLIN in the Oak Hill Cemetary in
Kingsport (Sullivan County)

I got to the cemetary at about 5:30 and entered along the ~western edge.  A
bird that could have been a Merlin was sitting in the peak of a conifer.  With
binoculars, from that angle, I couldn't be sure so I drove beyond it, parked
and took out my scope.  The light would have been better from this position,
but the bird flew off without my seeing it go.

I drove slowly around the perimeter of the cemetary without seeing any other
bird that looked like it could be a Merlin, so I parked along the ~east-west
road at the north edge of the cemetary (at the highest ground).  I was there a
few minutes and a Merlin came winging in from the south-east and sat in the tip
of a tall dead hardwood.  I had enough time with my binoculars to see clearly
that it was a Merlin.  Then it flew straight out from its perch and, with a few
wing beats, grabbed a smaller bird in mid air.  It circled and landed back on a
branch tip of the same tree and spent the next half hour, first eating its
prey, then just looking around.  I was able to watch it with  binoculars and
scope for about a half hour. Then it sailed off south and dropped toward some
large cedar trees.  I lost my view of it at that time. I was there from about
5:30 to 6:30 p.m. This was a male--back, tops of wings and tail were dark gray.

There were quite a few mosquitos up there (no breeze).  Thanks to all of you
who have posted observations, directions and time information on your sightings
of this bird.

Roy Knispel
Johnson City,  Washington County, TN