[Bristol-Birds] Mendota Hawk Watch 9-22-05

  • From: RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, drcumbow@xxxxxxxxx, mevans01@xxxxxxxxx, Marion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mlhagy322morning@xxxxxx, shopp@xxxxxxx, bassfiddle@xxxxxxxx, andrew101055@xxxxxxxxx, wesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, JAMES134@xxxxxxxxxxxx, dioptase@xxxxxxxxx, rwsandmss@xxxxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:10:25 EDT

Hi Folks:

It was a great morning at the Mendota Hawk Watch. Starting at 9:25 a.m., we
had a steady flow of Broad-winged hawks that increased in numbers until
mid-day, then dropped off during the afternoon. By 1:00 p.m., over 1,000
Broad-winged
hawks had passed the tower. Except for more haze and reduced visibility in
the morning, the weather was almost a duplication of yesterday. Unfortunately,
we didn't have as many wispy clouds for a backdrop in the afternoon, so it was
hard work to find them in the clear, bright, sky. Nevertheless, we couldn't
complain about the final result: our best day so far. To ice the cake, we also
picked up our first Peregrine Falcon during the late afternoon.

Bob Quillen and I were at the site from 9:15 a.m. until 6:15. Ron and Debbie
Pendleton arrived just in time to provide extra help during our busiest time.
Visitors included Rick and Kathy Smith.

Species:                            9/22/05
Year-to-Date

Northern Harrier                   -
2
Broad-winged Hawk         1209                                    5391
Coopers Hawk                    2                                        10
Am. Bald Eagle                    -                                       3
Osprey                              1
20
Am. Kestrel                          -
2
Sharp-shinned Hawk            1                                       8
Red-shouldered Hawk          -                                       1
Peregrine Falcon                 1                                      2

Other: Red-headed WP:       -                                      2

Man Hours:    22

The Mendota Fire Tower is located atop Clinch Mountain, on the
Washington-Russell County line, about three miles north of Mendota, VA. Come
join the fun.
And don't forget the third annual Mendota Hawk Festival, Saturday, September
24, at the Mendota Community Center.

Ron Harrington
Bristol, VA