[Bristol-Birds] Lincoln's Sparrow, Brown Creeper and Ravens

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 00:11:21 -0400

Area Birders,
More migrants continue to pass through on the ridge top of Compton Mt. The
highlight today was a LINCOLN'S SPARROW, a new yard bird. In the last couple of
days I have also had CHIPPING, FIELD, SONG, WHITE-CROWNED and WHITE-THROATED
SPARROWS. On Wednesday, in addition to the BLACKPOLL, I also observed a
MAGNOLIA WARBLER and a female BLACK-THROATED GREEN. Yesterday and today I saw a
BLUE-HEADED VIREO. NORTHERN FLICKERS continue to move through, as well as
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, GRAY CATBIRDS and RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS. For the last
few days I have heard COMMON RAVENS flying over.  I got a quick look at an
Accipter this morning as it sailed over the mountain. It looked as if it may
have been a COOPER'S, but It was too quick for me.
The winter residents are moving in. The White-throated Sparrows already
mentioned have been joined by my first DARK-EYED JUNCO of the season. A male
PURPLE FINCH was at the feeder yesterday, and today there were two PINE SISKINS
feeding and fighting with the AM GOLDFINCHES. A juvenile YELLOW-BELLIED
SAPSUCKER was seen yesterday, and this morning I got close-up looks at my first
BROWN CREEPER of the season.

The flocks of EASTERN BLUEBIRDS  and CEDAR WAXWINGS continue to feed on the
Poke berries that are abundant this year.

Enjoy the birds,

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA
Buchanan County Bird Club