[Bristol-Birds] Krider's Red-tailed Hawk (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Butternuts <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 23:08:50 -0400

October 17, 2004
Joachime Bible Refuge unit of Lick Creek Bottoms Wildlife Management
Area (Greene Co., TN)

I observed an immature Krider's form Red-tailed Hawk for over ten
minutes this afternoon at the Bible Refuge unit of LCBWMA.

The bird was very accommodating, circling and gliding in the clear sky
above the unit on both sides of South Mohawk Road, which splits the
refuge.  At one point, I even viewed it in the same glass with a typical
eastern form adult Red-tail and was able to compare the two.  The
Krider's was slightly smaller and appeared less bulky.

There is variation in Krider's form (as in other forms as well), but
today's bird clearly showed the following:

underparts--basically all white, although I did note two elongated dark
spots on the left flank;

underside of wings--very pale overall except for dark tips and a thin
trace of dark on the patagium; large, pale, trapezoidal "panels" on the
primaries;

underside of tail--fine banding pattern similar to that on immature
eastern form Red-tail;

upperside of wings--dark tips; large, pale, trapezoidal "panels" on
primaries; much white in secondary coverts;

back--dark, with much white mottling;

upperside of tail--fine banding pattern similar to that on immature
eastern form Red-tail; pale on basal area of feathers much whiter than
on Red-tail;

head--all white.

This Krider's Red-tail represents the fourth form of the species that I
have seen in the region.  Besides the typical eastern form, I have also
observed the following:

dark-morph--in Greene County on January 4, 2000; February 26, 2000;
December 2, 2001; December 29, 2001; November 15, 2003; February 14,
2004;

partial albino--adult at Snapp Bridge in Washington County on May 3,
2004.

Don Miller
Greeneville, TN