[Bristol-Birds] Injured Barn Owl taken to rehab

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 23:17:48 -0300

An injured Barn Owl was found on the road along the South Fork Holston River
upstream from Bluff City, TN this morning (Thurs. 4/8).

Bert Hale was called by two farmer brothers who had rescued the bird.  He
received the owl and delivered it to me.

By noon, Chris O'Bryan and I had transported the bird to a Carter County
rehabber who is providing medical care and safe keeping while its future is
pending recovery.

The dicovery of the owl is of interest to birders as is the discovery of the
Wynn Wood Wildlife Rehab center located just four miles south of Shady
Valley on Iron Mountain.

At the center, Geri Wynn and Keith Wynn operate an impressive rehab facility
of considerable proportion.  We saw Canada Goose, Cooper's Hawk, Great
Horned Owl, Red-tailed Hawk and Screech Owl all well contained and
apparently adequately maintained.

The walls are covered with certificates of national and regional level rehab
training.  The vet medical equipment and supplies were abaundant and seemed
relevant.  Geri Wynn is a former vet tech and apparently has many vet skills
as well as a network of supporlting veterinarian clinics.  A wide variety of
animals are taken and treated without charge.  The facility had many animals
of many species in care.  The program is nonprofit and no charges are made
for services.  Contributions are appreciated.

The center's March 2004 newsletter reports 415 animals treated there last
year.  Wynn Wood Wildlife Rehab answered 1,225 wildlife calls in 1993.  Of
the animals treated,  308 were released to the wild,  90 died or had to be
euthanized.  Seventeen are pending.

In 1993, the center cared for 62 raccons, 84 opossums, 45 squirrels,  41
rabbits, 23 raptors, 116 songbirds, 20 fawn, 5 turtles, 5 snakes, 7 bats, 3
foxes, 3 flying squirrels and a chipmunk.  Impressive to say the least.

As a sidebar to all of this, we learned from the folks at Bays Mountain Park
that there is no rehabbing taking place there by the private group which had
developed a facility there.  Vanessa Hawley is no longer involved with the
rehabbing.  She either has moved to North Carolina or is in the process of
doing so.

Let's go birding....