[Bristol-Birds] Hungry Shrike

Bird Watchers

and stayed until 1:45.
It was feeding on what appeared tobe a white throat at the base of a dogwood
tree about 3 feet from
the house. Above the feeding shrike I have a 20 port thistle feeder and during
the time I had 8 gold
finches and a purple finch feeding. Aclimbing Hydrangia grows up the tree and
the shrike had impaled
the biird on a short branch. Feeding started ath the head and ate the whole
thing. After it left I checked and
found only some feathers. I made some digital pixs may see if Wallace will post
them.

In years gone by we have had shrikes nest around the area but it is unusual to
find one lately.

PS I see by the net that girl scouts have been putting up wood duck boxes. This
is great--
Several have been put up on the South Fork of Holston River below the dam. I
have often wondered how long it
would take mama to find junior if he jumped into the water while they were
generating?

Bert Hale, Bluff City , TN Sullivan Cy.