[Bristol-Birds] Grosbeaks, Siskins, Veery, Barred Owl

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 23:13:51 -0400

Area Birders,
The Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were back at my feeders today. Two males enjoyed
the White Proso Millet, while 2 Pine Siskins fed on the Black Oil Sunflower
seeds.

Just after sunset a Veery came to my small yard stream to bathe. He liked the
stream so much he bathed, dried himself, then bathed again.

After dark I went outside and surprised a Barred Owl sitting on the ground just
below my feeders. It saw me and disappeared like a ghost into the woods. At
night using the baby monitor transmitter outside the window we hear the Barred
Owl calling and in the distance we can hear a Whip-poor-will.

Using the baby monitor is also a great way to wake up to singing Cardinals,
Brown Thrashers, Carolina Wrens and the whir of Mourning Dove wings as they
come into the feeder just as dawn breaks.

Good Birding,

Roger Mayhorn
Compton Mt
Buchanan County