[Bristol-Birds] Golden Eagles, Russell County

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 07:56:39 -0800 (PST)

Yesterday, January 18th, I saw at least 7 Golden
Eagles in my brief trip around Russell County. In Corn
Valley I had 5 in the air at the same time. There were
4 juveniles playing a modified game of tag over an
open field on top of the ridge. They were landing just
over the crest of the ridge. First one would hop into
the air then another. One of the ones soaring would
drop down to the ground and the others would take off.
Then all four would be soaring and diving at each
other. I watched this for amost 10 minutes. Just as
all four dropped over the mountain I scanned laft and
saw another eagle much higher than these 4. As it
soared over the ridge I could see that it was a 2nd
year eagle.
I also saw 2 others on Mountain Rd and one was an
adult. The other was a juvenile and may have been one
of the four. I also saw 2 eagles on Clifton Farms Road
but I could not be sure they were different birds.
I also saw 1 Red-shouldered Hawk, 9 Red-tailed Hawks
and 3 American Kestrels.

Tom & Laverne Hunter

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs