[Bristol-Birds] First Young Mockers in Buchanan

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:52:18 -0400

Area Birders,
Until a few years ago Northern Mockingbirds were rarely found in Buchanan
County, and then it was only an occasional one in winter. Their numbers in the
area then began to increase and they were observed during the breeding season.
Members of our bird club believed the birds were nesting here, but no nest has
been located. During the summer of 2004 two adult birds were observed carrying
food near Grundy, but the nest was not found.
For the last couple of winters a lone Mocker has spent the winter here on
Compton Mt, but has left during the spring. This year a bird spent the winter,
then was observed during the spring with another. The two were chasing a third.
Shortly after, all three disappeared. Last week I watched an adult bird come to
my raspberry patch then fly toward the neighbor's pasture, but no nest could be
found. I had not been seeing adult birds, nor had I been hearing Mockingbird
songs. No confirmation has ever been found to prove that they are nesting
within the confines of the county until today. I was walking through the yard
when I heard a plaintive "peent". Upon investigation I found an adult
Mockingbird in an apple tree with two fledglings. The young were begging and
being fed by the adult. I grabbed the camera and took a few photos. This is the
first record of a successful nesting of this species within the county. As to
why this species has expanded its range to include heavily forested Buchanan
County, I will leave to someone with more knowledge than I. The birds are
numerous in more open Russell County just to our south. Buchanan has fewer open
fields than it had in the past. Fewer people are clearing areas for gardens and
pastureland than in the past.  Perhaps someone could speculate.

Enjoy the birds,

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA
Buchanan County