[Bristol-Birds] Ecuador Trip for BBC

  • From: JPMOYLE18@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 12:16:28 EDT

       The Bristol Bird Club has arranged for a birding/wildlife expedition
to the Andean Mountains of Ecuador in July of 2008.  Only 10-15 members can be
accomodated on this trip.  For the first month, we will only allow BBC members
and families to sign up.  After the one month introductory period, we will
open it to TOS members and the general public.  It, therefore, is important to
make your reservation early.  For more information and reservation forms,
either contact me, Dr. John Moyle, by email (jpmoyle18@xxxxxxx) or by regular
mail
at 4027 Glen Alpine Road, Kingsport, TN 37660.
             The trip will run from July 12 through July 22.  We will fly
into and out of Quito, the capitol.  The cost for the trip will be $1995 and
include meals and lodging, local guides and transportation within Ecuador.
Transportation to Ecuador will be on your own.  I will be flying out of
Knoxville
and the cost will be $895.  The advantage of non-group fares is freedom to
choose your airport and carrier, date of departure from and arrival at home,
and
you may use frequent flier miles if you have them.
       In Ecuador, we will visit a variety of habitats including high montane
cloud forest, pre-montane cloud forest, paramo, agricultural areas, mountain
stream valleys and eastern slope subtropical cloud forest.  A sampling of
possible sightings includes Green-tailed Trainbearer, Sword-billed Hummingbird,
Maroon-tailed Parakeet, Toucan Barbet, Golden-headed Quetzal, Flame-faced
tanager, Long-wattled Umbrellabird, Giant Antpitta,  Choco Toucan, Club-winged
Manakin, Andean Emerald, Bronze-winged Parrot, Andean Cock-of-the-Rock,
Black-and-Chestnut Eagle, Carunculated Caracara, Torrent Ducks, Silvery Grebe,
Rufous-banded Owls, Black-chested Buzzard-Eagle, Powerful Woodpecker, Andean
Potoo and
Andean Condor.  All of these against a background of moss-draped trees,
bromeliads and tree-ferns or grassy paramo.

We will have great vistas of the high Andes, valleys of cloud forest and high
elevation towns and farms of the Ecuadorean people.  Quito, itself, is a
beautiful Spanish-style city with fabulous churches and squares.  It will be a
wonderful trip at a great price.  Join us for a great birding and general
wildlife experience!

 See what's new at
http://www.aol.com