[Bristol-Birds] Directions to the Mendota Fire Tower

  • From: RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, mlhagy322morning@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, andrew101055@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 09:28:56 EDT

I have received several requests for directions to the Mendota Fire Tower. So
here they are again:

From Abingdon VA: Take US Hwy 19-58 north until you cross the North Fork
Holston River. Turn left on Route 808 (Mendota Road) and follow for several
miles
(about 12 or so). Turn right on Route 612 (Pinnacle Road). Follow for about 3
miles to the top of Clinch Mountain. Look for the old tower road on your
right. Park nearby and walk up the old tower road to the site.

From Bristol: At I-81 exit 1, take US Hwy 58-421 north towards Gate City.
After a little over 9 miles, turn right on Route 615 (Federal Road) and follow
until you cross the North Fork. Bare left and then turn right on 802, then left
on 612 (Pinnacle Road)  Follow for about 3 miles to the top of Clinch
Mountain. Look for old tower road on your right near the top. Walk up old road
to the
site.

From Kingsport/Johnson City: Take I-181/26 north to Weber City, VA. Turn
right on U S 58-421 towards Bristol. Look for Hilton, VA sign (about 5 miles).
Turn left in Hilton, then right on Route 614 (A.P. Carter Hwy). Follow this
road
thru Mendota, VA. Turn left on Route 612 (Pinnacle Road). Follow for about 3
miles to the top of Clinch Mountain. Look for old (washed out) tower road. Walk
up this road to the watch site.

Volunteers are urgently needed to help with the hawk watch. Please let me
know ASAP if you can help. Any day between now and September 25.

Thanks.

Ron Harrington
Mendota Hawk Watch Coordinator/Compiler.