[Bristol-Birds] Chuck-will's-widow (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: "Donald Miller" <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "TN-Bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 22:12:30 -0400

August 4, 2006

This evening at dusk, I observed a Chuck-will's-widow along Brown's Bridge
Road, near Tusculum in Greene County.  The bird used a power line for a perch
and sallied for insects every minute or so, always returning to the same
general area.  I got great looks at it at close range and in flight.  The
tawny-rufous overtones, which help to distinguish it from Whip-poor-will, were
still visible in the dim light, and the long, pointy wings were displayed
obviously when it flew.  As darkness approached and rain threatened, it
disappeared during a brief interval when my attention was distracted.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN

Donald Miller
pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx