[Bristol-Birds] Carvers Gap and vicinity, Carter Co. - Warblers, Merlin, Vesper Sparrow

  • From: Darrel Wilder <darrelw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:30:50 -0400

8/30/10, AM
Carvers Gap and road pullout close to Carver's Gap

I found a good number of warblers species at Carver's Gap this morning , but
also especially at a pullout on the left hand side of the road 1.2 miles from
Carver's Gap (headed back down to the town of Roan Mt.). In addition I saw a
Merlin at the Gap and a Vesper Sparrow next to the parking lot.

Warblers:

American Redstart                -  1
Hooded                                -  2
Magnolia                              -  2
Tennessee                           -  7
Chestnut-sided                     -  2
Black-throated Green            -  3
Black-throated Blue              -  5
Cape May                            -  4
Blackburnian                        -  4
Yellow-throated                     -  1
Bay-breasted                       -  1
Black & White                      -  1

I found the largest number of species (including the Cape Mays,
Yellow-throated, Black and White, and the Bay-Breasted) in a mixed flock at the
pulloff down from the gap.

also:

Merlin                                  -  1
Coopers Hawk                      -  1
Sharp-shinned Hawk             -  1
Vesper Sparrow                    -  1
Scarlet Tanager                    -  2