[Bristol-Birds] C. Nighthawk in Parking Lot, Erwin, TN

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:22:44 EDT

A little after midnight on Tuesday, Sept. 13, David Thometz and I flushed a
bird while driving through the parking lot at White's Grocery in Erwin, Unicoi
Co., TN. The bird settled back onto the pavement, but before it did so, we saw
the white bars in the wings and IDed the bird...a Common Nighthawk.

There are plenty of strong lights to attract insects in the lot, so we
thought the bird might be resting before going off to hunt for food.

I actually saw my first Common Nighthawks of the season on Sunday, Sept. 11,
at home in Hampton, Carter Co., TN, when I saw two of the birds flying
overhead.

Warblers over the weekend included Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green,
Magnolia, Tennessee, Pine and American Redstart.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN