[Bristol-Birds] C. Goldeneyes/Eared Grebes at Musick's

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, HerndonBirdClub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 18:48:06 EST

Jean and Brookie Potter, Reece Jamerson and Bryan Stevens had a good stop at
Musick's Campground at S. Holston Lake, Sullivan County, TN, on Tuesday, March
6, from about 4:30-5:30 p.m.

We had 13 Common Goldeneyes (1 drake, 12 hens), 13 Redheads, 8 Ring-necked
Ducks, 7 Eared Grebes, 5 Pied-billed Grebes, 3 Common Loons, 1 Double-crested
Cormorant, 4 Canada Geese, 2 Mallards, 2 Killdeer and 75 Ring-billed Gulls. At
the Musick's feeders, we saw Common Grackle, Red-winged Blackbirds and Northern
Cardinals.

In addition, Crows mobbing a Red-tailed Hawk at TWRA Access Area adjacent to
Musick's.

At Paddlecreek Pond near Bristol, a single Mute Swan mingled with the various
waterfowl. No Canvasbacks or Green-winged Teal this week, but we did have
Ring-necked Duck, Gadwall, American Wigeon, Mallard, Wood Duck, Lesser Scaup
and
Hooded Merganser.

We did get Green-winged Teal (2) on the second small pond on the right after
turning at Darter's Store on the way to Musick's Campground.

At Austin Springs, Boone Lake, in Washington County near Johnson City, we had
Tree Swallows, Great Blue Heron and Black Vultures.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN

 AOL now offers free email
to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at http://www.aol.com.