[Bristol-Birds] Breaks Park, Compton Mtn Birding, Merlin

  • From: "Mike Sanders" <hawk036@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 19:41:09 -0400

I took a trip to the Breaks Interstate Park today. It was a little chilly
this morning but it turned out to be a very nice day. A highlight for me was
a Merlin that flew straight at me along the ridge at Tower Lookout, as I was
watching it fly through the binoculars, I thought to myself this bird is
going to hit me, as I lowered my binoculars it flew about 2 ft above my head
and landed in a tree about 15 ft away. I got great looks at it. I also saw a
Black & White Warblers and an Oven Bird. I also found two Broad-wing Hawks
building a nest in the park; it looked like they were close to finishing it,
as both were sitting on the nest.

I took a side trip to Compton Mtn to meet up with Roger Mayhorn at his place
to get some plants and check out the birds he might be getting. We were
standing in his yard when I heard a noise in one of his evergreens, as I
looked around I saw a bird falling through the branches and hit the ground
hard. When I got a better look I realized it was a Coopers Hawk that had
latched on to a bird and had fell through the tree due to the force it
imparted on that bird. The tree is about 20 ft tall and I heard a thump when
it hit. That's a hard way to make a living. A complete list is below.

Mike Sanders

Bristol, Va

Journal of Sighting Records Entered 4/11/2010

Red-shouldered Hawk Buchanan VA VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 1 = /TM

Black-and-white Warbler Breaks Interstate Park VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 3 = /TM

Pileated Woodpecker Breaks Interstate Park VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 2 = /TM

Yellow-throated Warbler Breaks Interstate Park VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 3 = /TM

Broad-winged Hawk Breaks Interstate Park VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 2 = /n /TM

Carolina Chickadee Breaks Interstate Park VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 4 = /TM

Black-throated Green Warbler Breaks Interstate Park VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 3 = /TM

American Robin Breaks Interstate Park VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 16 = /TM

Tufted Titmouse Breaks Interstate Park VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 2 = /TM

Blue-headed Vireo Breaks Interstate Park VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 5 = /TM

Chipping Sparrow Breaks Interstate Park VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 6 = /TM

White-breasted Nuthatch Breaks Interstate Park VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 2 = /n /TM

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker Breaks Interstate Park VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 1 = /TM

Ovenbird Breaks Interstate Park VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 1 = /TM

Eastern Towhee Breaks Interstate Park VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 3 = /TM

Merlin Breaks Interstate Park VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 1 = /TM

Eastern Phoebe Breaks Interstate Park VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 2 = /TM

American Crow Breaks Interstate Park VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 4 = /TM

Northern Flicker Breaks Interstate Park VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 1 = /TM

Red-shouldered Hawk 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 1 = /TM

Cooper's Hawk 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 1 = /TM

Mourning Dove 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 4 = /TM

Downy Woodpecker 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 2 = /TM

Hairy Woodpecker 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 1 = /TM

Red-bellied Woodpecker 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 1 = /TM

Pileated Woodpecker 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 1 = /TM

Eastern Phoebe 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 1 = /TM

American Crow 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 2 = /TM

Tree Swallow 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 3 = /TM

Carolina Chickadee 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 4 = /TM

Tufted Titmouse 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 2 = /TM

White-breasted Nuthatch 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 2 = /TM

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 1 = /TM

Eastern Bluebird 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 2 = /TM

American Robin 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 4 = /TM

European Starling 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 1 = /TM

Eastern Towhee 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 1 = /TM

Chipping Sparrow 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 2 = /TM

Northern Cardinal 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 4 = /TM

Brown-headed Cowbird 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 1 = /TM

Purple Finch 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 2 = /TM

American Goldfinch 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 6 = /TM

Turkey Vulture 3343 Compton Mountain Rd VA US Apr 11, 2010

= 2 = /TM