[Bristol-Birds] Bobwhite and Red-headed Woodpecker at Steele Creek Park

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BRISTOL BIRDS <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Friends of Steele Creek <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Robin Feierabend <feierabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:59:06 -0400

On Tuesday, 6/17/08, Dave Worley and I saw an adult Red-headed Woodpecker at
Shelter A. Thats just above the Nature Center. They are rare at the park. Rick
Knight found the first park record on 11/22/00. Don Holt regularly saw 1 or 2
birds until 4/11/01. An immature bird was seen by me on 10/17/07. These were
all in the same area. An active nest is a good possibility.

This morning I heard a Northern Bobwhite singing near the maintenace shop.
That's the building to the right of the golf course parking lot. That's the
first park record (that I'm aware of) since 7/12/72 by Brent Rowell. Rowell had
a nesting record prior to that.

Other birds being seen or heard this week in the park include Acadian
Flycatchers, Great Crested Flycatchers, Yellow-throated Vireos, Gray Catbirds,
Yellow-throated Warblers, Summer Tanagers, Orchard Orioles and Baltimore
Orioles.

Larry McDaniel
Earn cashback on your purchases with Live Search - the search that pays you
back!
http://search.live.com/cashback/?&pkw=form=MIJAAF/publ=HMTGL/crea=earncashback