[Bristol-Birds] Birding Compton and Horn Mountains

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 14:04:24 -0400

Area Birders,
After birding around my yard this morning my wife and I did about a 10 mile
birding drive on the rest of Compton Mountain and Horn Mountain here in
Buchanan County, both of which are part of the Western Virginia Birding and
Wildlife Trail. We logged 30 species. We probably would have had more, but
the trees at the higer elevations have not yet budded. The birds were a
little lower on the mountains.

The highlights of the drive were AMERICAN REDSTARTS, HOODED WARBLERS,
BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLERS,BLUE-HEADED VIREOS,YELLOW-THROATED WARBLERS,
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, BROWN THRASHERS, lots of OVENBIRDS,EASTERN PHOEBES,
TREE SWALLOWS and EASTERN BLUEBIRDS.

Enjoy the spring birds,

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy,VA