[Bristol-Birds] Birding Breaks Area

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:13:19 -0400

Area Birders,
This past Friday, June 24, Two members of the Buchanan County Bird Club, David
Raines and I (Roger Mayhorn) birded a mountain near the Middle Fork of Grassy
Creek in Buchanan County. This is a beautiful wooded area that has recently had
roads cut through it to enable core drilling in preparation for building a
section of the Coal Field Expressway, a new highway through the area. Later in
the morning we birded a private trail on Grassy Creek called Dogwood Lane. We
started early, about 6:15 a.m. We had a total of 38 species for the day with
the more interesting birds being ACADIAN FLYCATCHER, BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER,
BLACK-THROATED GREEN, HOODED WARBLERS, WOOD THRUSHES, BLUE-HEADED VIREO,
YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER, SCARLET TANAGER and
BROAD-WINGED and RED-TAILED HAWKS.

Following is the complete list.

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA